How can one file complaint against misleading advertisements?

“Misleading advertisement” means an advertisement, which—

  • falsely describes such product or service; or
  • gives a false guarantee to, or is likely to mislead the consumers as to the nature, substance, quantity or quality of the product or service; or
  • deliberately conceals important information;

There are various penal provisions for publishing or endorsing misleading advertisements. A complaint for misleading advertisements can be made to District Collector or to the Central Consumer Protection Authority. However, for ease of the consumers, Department of Consumer Affairs has Portal of For Grievances Against Misleading Advertisements (GAMA).

•Laws are constantly changing, either their substance or their interpretation. Even though every attempt is made to keep the information correct and updated, yet if you find some information to be wrong or dated, kindly let us know. We will acknowledge your contribution.Click here to know more.