Can interim relief be granted by the Consumer court / commission?

Yes, a consumer commission can pass an interim order depending on the facts and circumstances of the case.

Such interim order can also be passed ex-parte, that is, without hearing the other party. However, an application for vacation, modification or discharge of the ex-parte interim order can be made which has to be decided within 45 days. In case it is not decided within 45 days, the Commission has discretion to extend the interim order beyond 45 days.

 Relevant Legal Provisions:
  • Section 38 of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019
  • Regulation 18 of Consumer Protection (Consumer Commission Procedure) Regulations, 2020

  • •Laws are constantly changing, either their substance or their interpretation. Even though every attempt is made to keep the information correct and updated, yet if you find some information to be wrong or dated, kindly let us know. We will acknowledge your contribution.Click here to know more.